FIND YOUR NEXT HOME by...
Steamboat Named #7 Snowiest City by The Weather ChannelPosted by Colorado Group Realty on Monday, December 20th, 2010 at 10:38am.
- Average yearly snow: 175.5"
- Population (2000 census): 9816
- Snowiest month: January (41.8")
- Snowiest day: 30" (3/2/1929)
- Record depth: 61" (1/12/1997)
They call it "champagne powder".
A typical storm arriving from the Pacific Ocean in the winter months dumps its first round of heavy snow in either the Sierra or Cascades. By the time the snow reaches the mountains of Colorado, the water content is less, so the snow that falls here is, well, fluffier and lighter.
There's plenty of snow, too. At least 10" of snow cover can be expected 97 days of the year. Here at 6636 feet above sea level, snow falls from mid-October to mid-May.
Be the first to comment on this blog entry!
Leave a Comment
Log in, to view your saved searches and add to your favorite listings.
... become a Colorado Group Groupie
- View detailed property information
- Save searches and favorite homes
- Win a free entry into next year's Steamboat Triathlon
- Map individual property locations
- Receive an invitation to the annual CGR ski day
- Receive a free copy of the Steamboat Magazine
- Enjoy free Steamboat Roaster Coffee at our downtown office